3802 ANGUS DRIVE, SHAUGHNESSY, VANCOUVER, B.C., V6J 4H3, Canada
Designed by renowned local architects Samuel Maclure and Cecil Crocker Fox, “John Hendry House” unquestionably represents one of the finest examples of the Arts and Crafts/Tudor Revival architectural style in Vancouver which so richly represents the city's dignified history.John Hendry house was completed in 1913, during an era of great growth and prosperity, in the new development of First Shaughnessy, created for Vancouver’s elite by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The house was built using the finest of materials including first-growth wood from Vancouver’s forests. With rooms of impeccable design and ample proportions, this is a home in the grand style, built for comfortable family living as well as regal entertaining.
The home was originally built for John E. Tucker, President of the B.C. Timber Company, who lived there until 1915 when it was sold to Mr. Hendry. Mr. Hendry was President of the B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company, the oldest and largest enterprise of its kind in the Northwest. He was also president of Vancouver Board of Trade, he built the Kaslo and Slocan Railway and the New Westminster-Vancouver line, both of which became the Great Northern Railway, he was elected to the council of the City of New Westminster and was a director of many companies including B.C. Sugar Refining Company. It is said of Mr. Hendry: “There is perhaps no representative of important industrial, commercial, and manufacturing interest who had more to do with the material growth, development, up building and prosperity of the country than he.”
This landmark mansion reflects the power and prestige of its dignified occupants/caretakers.
The functional floor plan of the home incorporates 9 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms and 6 fireplaces, and exquisite detailing including fine plasterwork, stone masonry, inlaid hardwood floors, elaborate banisters and woodwork, coffered ceilings, and intricate leaded glass feature windows.
Sitting privately on over .6 acre, the magnificent 12,126 sq. ft. residence is located on one of the most prominent corners in the heart of First Shaughnessy, within minutes of South Granville shops and the Vancouver Lawn and Tennis Club.
Extensive restoration, structural and mechanical upgrading and renovations over the years have enhanced the home’s grace, comfort and hospitality while maintaining the beauty and distinction of its rich heritage.
MAJOR RESTORATION & RENOVATIONS
- New cedar shingle roof on house and garage
- Restoration of exterior woodwork where required
- Complete exterior painting of house and garage
- Garage interior painted
- New electrical upgrades and panel
- New plumbing
- Kitchen renovated
- Swimming pool and spa added
- New landscaping
- Entirely new foundation and the house was raised to allow full height in basement
- New wiring in most of the house including new electrical panel
- New plumbing in most of the house
- New garage
- New driveway
- 2 new Viessmann high capacity boilers
FABULOUS QUIET LOCATION!
Set in the heart of First Shaughnessy on prestigious Angus Drive, adjacent to some of the finest homes in Canada, this is one of Vancouver’s most coveted and prestigious locations. Fashionable South Granville shops, restaurants, gourmet grocers, and the Vancouver Lawn and Tennis Club are within a short walk, and the city’s best public and private schools, including York House, Little Flower Academy and Shaughnessy Elementary are just minutes away. Downtown and the Vancouver International Airport are also just a few minutes by car.
STATELY ENTRY HALL
The expansive entry hall features:
- Grand welcoming fireplace, converted to gas
- Marble entry and inlaid oak floors
- Sumptuous detailing including fine wood and plasterwork
- Window seat
- Dramatic staircase leading to grand landing with window seat and lovely stained glass
- Powder room discreetly situated in the hall way
French doors open from the main hall to the spectacular living room.
- Fabulously intricate plasterwork and fine wood detailing
- Original rift-cut oak flooring
- Gracious size ideal for large family gatherings and easily accommodates grand piano
- Leaded French doors open to a charming heated solarium/conservatory overlooking the pool area and an expansive covered terrace overlooking the southern garden area
French doors open from the main hall to the magnificent dining room that accommodates up to 16 guests.
The cozy gas fireplace lends warmth and intimacy for smaller gatherings.
- Large stone Arts and Crafts style fireplace surround
- Lavish hand crafted plasterwork graces the ceiling of this exquisite room
- Opulent wood wainscoting and details
- Original rift-cut oak flooring
Reflecting the rich heritage of Hendry House this extraordinary room reflects the Arts and Crafts design of the home while providing a modern audio visual centre.
- Luxurious fir paneling and fir beamed ceiling
- Gorgeous heritage tiled wood-burning fireplace with built-in shelving and cabinetry
- Drop-down large screen TV and surround system
- Original rift-cut oak flooring
KITCHEN AND FAMILY ROOM
Ideal for modern family living!
- Infloor radiant heating
- Spacious family room offers a great space for family and friends to “kick-back and relax”
and provides ample room for casual family dining
- Super-sized kitchen, renovated in 2001 features:
- Massive stainless-steel island with breakfast bar
- Hardwood floors
- Radiant infloor heating
- Polished concrete counter tops
- Family sized Subzero Fridge
- Double thermidor wall ovens
- 6-burner Thermidor gas stove
- 2 double-sink prep areas
- 2 Meile dishwashers
Exquisite original leaded glass windows with stained glass panels grace the grand staircase that leads to the 2nd level of the home that offers 5 large bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms and a family-size laundry room.
Note: a secondary staircase provides easy access to the upper level from the kitchen.
- Privately set from the other 4 bedrooms on this level
- Soaring double height ceiling with atrium library accessible by classic spiral staircase
- Cozy gas fireplace
- Triple sets of leaded-glass French doors open to large deck overlooking the garden
- Large private dressing room/walk-in closet
- Classic design ensutie bathroom with heated marble floors
- Heritage style clawfoot tub
- Walk-in shower with rain shower
This airy 3rd floor space offers a dramatic atrium library, large skylit office with unique secret doorway, 2 bedrooms, a music room, a 4-piece bathroom, and a large cedar-lined storage room. The west-facing bedroom offers views of the North Shore Mountains and winter views of English Bay!
This flexible space features HIGH CEILINGS and RADIANT INFLOOR HEATING:
- Classic wood paneled billiards room with wood burning fireplace (pool table and rack included)
- Large recreation room with foosball table (included)
- Sauna and walk-in shower
- 2 large bedrooms (no closets in these rooms)
- 3-piece bathroom
- Cool storage/wine storage
EXTERIOR AND GROUNDS
Set on .6 acre the expansive grounds of Hendry House are graced by:
- Grand porte corchere driveway and formal entrance with remote-controlled gates
- Sprawling lawns for summer entertianing and sports activities
- Classic terraces and porches overlooking the pool and landscaped gardens
- Completely fenced and gated for security and safety
- Fresh-water outdoor swimming pool and spa with solar and gas heating option
Beautifully fenced and gated for child-safety
- Pool house with French doors opening to the pool area
- Extra-large double garage, with electric car charging station
- Spectacular mature trees including a commanding Copper Beech
- Sculpture feature in south garden
- Large cool-storage room under solarium